Dog Owner Posts Warning to Help Save Other Dogs after Hers Died Because of a “Common” Mistake

What's even more concerning is that pet parents have no idea. No one talks about the dangers of these everyday food items and by the time many of these pet parents realize the hazards, it's too late! Please take a moment to read and be sure to tell a fellow pet parent.

6547
Advertisements

The Internet is full of photos of happy animals and their owners. Seeing someone loving and caring so much for their pet is truly heartwarming. But sometimes, no matter what we do for our animal friends, things happen and we feel helpless and blame ourselves when they find themselves in trouble, because at the end of the day, we are the ones who are responsible for their well-being.

One dog owner named Christina Young is sharing a heartbreaking story of how her sweet dog whom she and her boyfriend Christian loved unconditionally passed away. She knows that speaking about it will make many other owners aware of the careless mistakes they make that could lead to a tragedy like the one that happened to her four-legged pal Petey.

Facebook/Christina Young

Christina blamed herself for Petey’s death because she believes it could be prevented if she was more careful. This is what she wrote on her Facebook page after she went home one day and Petey was nowhere to greet her.

“As [Christian] walked in further he saw our sweet boy laying lifeless with a stupid chip bag over his head. He was able to get them off the counter that we will forever blame ourselves for leaving out. He ate every chip out but of course went back for crumbs…which made the bag tighter and tighter with there being nothing left inside every time he would go for more he would inhale making the bag tighter & tighter around his head.. ultimately resulting in suffocation.”

Christina was left both heartbroken and confused. She wondered why her very smart dog didn’t try taking that bag off of his head. But then, she did some research and discovered some information that she had never heard before, because obviously, no one spoke about it. Bags of chips, popcorn, and other treats should never be left near dogs.

“3-5 pet suffocation’s get reported every week and 42% of those occur while the owner is in the next room. It only takes about 3 minutes for their oxygen to drop to fatal levels. With this happening so often we were so surprised by the lack of awareness on this topic out there.”

The truth is that many pet owners aren’t aware of all this and have no idea that something like a chips bag can be so dangerous to be left around.

“So I just ask that in honor of my boy Petey that you be extra careful, warn other dog owners & give your fur babies some extra love today and every day after this. I pray none of you ever have to experience your heartbreaking this way. We love you papas you were the best boy in the whole world & we will remember our good times forever”

Rest in peace sweet Petey. Please share this story to help spread Christina’s warning.

What do you think ?